Páginas

terça-feira, 22 de dezembro de 2015

Idioms about food

I'm going to introduce you to a few idioms relating to food through a short story. Try to read the story first and guess the meaning of the idioms by context and only then read the following definitions that you're going to find right after the end of the story. Enjoy!

I've got a sister who can get away with almost anything. She's the apple of my father's eye. Despite trying to do the right thing and never disappointing any of my parents, my efforts never get acknowledged. On the contrary. I always seem to be a punching bag.

But now I know for sure she's the bad egg in the family and I can prove it. The other day she opened up to me and confessed she had a bun in the oven. Yes, that's what you heard. After treating me like a punching bag all these years, I was the one she picked to tell the biggest secret she's probably ever had. To make matters even worse, she doesn't even know who the father is. Can you believe that? I told her she should definitely tell our parents, but explain only the bread and butter of all that trouble she got herself into. If they ever imagine all the details of that mess, they'll probably die.

The day after I told her what to do, she went right up to our parents and told the whole story. She tried to butter them up first, but they were nuts about all that situation. Then she decided to be pretty straightforward and said: In a nutshell, I am pregnant and I don't know who the father is.

IDIOMS USED IN THE STORY:

apple of one's eye          a person that is adored by someone     Baby Jessica is the apple of her father's eye.

bad egg               a person who is often in trouble              I don't want my little brother hanging around with the bad eggs on the street.

(have a) bun in the oven             be pregnant      I don't think Jan will come to the bar because she has a bun in the oven.

bread and butter            necessities, the main thing         Just explain the bread and butter of your report. You don't have to go into details.

butter someone up       be extra nice to someone (usually for selfish reasons) We'll have to butter Angie up before we tell her the news about the broken vase.

nuts about something, someone            like a lot               I'm nuts about classical music these days.

in a nutshell       simply   In a nutshell, I'm having a bad day.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário