Páginas

domingo, 21 de agosto de 2016

Inglês com música - Across the Universe (The Beatles)


Abaixo você encontrará a lyrics em preto de uma das minhas músicas favoritas de The Beatles, Across the Universe. Em vermelho, você poderá ter acesso a definição e exemplos de algumas das palavras mais incomuns da música. Lembrando que é sempre necessário levar em consideração o sentido poético e figurado da letra. Entretanto, nos exemplos, você poderá encontrar também as mesmas palavras sendo utilizadas em contextos literais. Enjoy!

Across The Universe

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,

to flow out
1. Lit. to course out of something. The apple juice flowed out of the press as we turned the crank. It stopped flowing out when we had crushed the apples totally.
2. Fig. [for people] to issue forth from something. The people flowed out of the stadium exits. At the end of the game, the people flowed out in a steady stream.

They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe.

slither
to sneak or crawl away, like a snake. The little lizards slithered away soundlessly. The snake slithered away while Maggie was still screaming.

Pools of sorrow, waves of joy
Are drifting through my opened mind

to drift
to move slowly, especially as a result of outside forces, with no control over direction:
No one noticed that the boat had begun to drift out to sea.
A mist drifted in from the marshes.
After the band stopped playing, people drifted away in twos and threes.
figurative The talk drifted aimlessly from one subject to another.

Possessing and caressing me.

to possess
to have or own something, or to have a particular quality:
I don't possess a single DVD (= I don't have even one DVD).
In the past the root of this plant was thought to possess magical powers.

Jai guru deva. om.

Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Images of broken light
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on across the universe.
Thoughts meander like a restless wind

to meander
1. If a river, stream, or road meanders, it follows a route that is not straight or direct.

2. a journey that has no particular direction:
The TV series continues its haphazard meander around the globe - this week in Portugal.
Inside a letter box,

3. to walk slowly without any clear direction:

We spent the afternoon meandering around the streets of the old town.

They tumble blindly as they make their way

tumble
to fall quickly and without control:
I lost my footing and tumbled down the stairs.
At any moment the whole building could tumble down.
He lost his balance and tumbled over.

Across the universe

Jai guru deva. om.

Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Sounds of laughter, shades of love are ringing through

to ring
to (cause to) make the sound of a bell:
The doorbell/phone rang.
Anne's alarm clock rang for half an hour before she woke.
I rang the bell but nobody came to the door.
My head is/My ears are still ringing (= are full of a ringing noise) from the sound of the military band.

My opened ears
Inciting and inviting me.

incite
to encourage someone to do or feel something unpleasant or violent:
She incited racial hatred by distributing anti-Semitic leaflets.
She was expelled for inciting her classmates to rebel against their teachers.
They denied inciting the crowd to violence.

Limitless undying love,

undying
Undying feelings or beliefs are permanent and never end:
He pledged undying love/loyalty.

Which shines around me like a million suns,
And calls me on and on across the universe

Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário