Páginas

sexta-feira, 1 de janeiro de 2016

Idioms about MUSIC

If you're a frequent reader of mine, you know I've been writing some short stories containing the idioms I want to teach you. This time, we're touching on a few idioms relating to the musical universe. Of course their meanings don't have to have necessarily something directly to do with music, but its origin or literal meaning might. After the short story, you'll find all the idioms used in the story followed by their meanings.

I'm a musician and play in an orchestra. One of these days I had the chance to meet one of my favorite singers. He was attending the same party my orchestra was playing at and I couldn't have missed the chance to say hello to him. At first, he seemed like a nice guy, but after a few seconds I noticed kind of a snobbish tone. He wouldn't stop blowing his own trumpet about how much of a huge success his last work was. I tried to make him understand I'm actually a huge fan of his and know everything about his work (without him saying it all over again), but he sounded like a broken record.

But the worst was still to come. Before I could properly introduce myself, he started speaking nonstop and I didn't get to tell him I'm actually a musician myself and part of the orchestra officially invited to play at the party. So he committed the most terrible gaffe: He said the orchestra could only play elevator music. Can you believe that? To top it off, he added that he and his family could have a jam session and would still make it sound much better than that. I could have made a scene in front of everybody and called him a jerk, but I just left him speaking alone without saying goodbye.

IDIOMS USED IN THE SHORT STORY

blow one's own trumpet: proudly boasting about your own talents and success.
like a broken record: someone who repeats the same thing again and again.
elevator music: pleasant but boring recorded music that is played in public places.
jam session: playing improvised music in an informal setting.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário