Páginas

segunda-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2015

IDIOMS ABOUT HAPPINESS


When I decided to write this post, I immediately started to remember the times I got really really happy. Some memories of mine came to mind, but so did some of my friends and loved ones'. So I'll be using them as a way to introduce you to these awesome new idioms relating to happiness.

We know happiness is such a relative concept. But usually when we think about happiness, we relate it with pleasant moments that made our hearts race really fast and keep those seconds forever in our minds. When I achieved some of my goals, like getting my first job or getting into college or getting to meet my girlfriend's parents and finally having my first official girlfriend, I remember being tickled pink. Simple moments like going out for the first time alone with my friends at night were also very remarkable to me. I felt like a real adult and I had a whale of a time with them. And speaking of being independent and adult, I have a friend that was on cloud nine when he finally got his driver's license. It was something he had been trying to get for so long.

My brother for example has always dreamed about becoming a police officer. So can you imagine how happy he was when he found out he had actually passed the exam and got accepted? Guess he was happy as a clam. I have a friend who took part of an incredible exchange to Europe and seemed to be in seventh heaven the whole time down there. And what better way to describe a real state of great happiness than having your first kid? My brother is about to be a father and once he does he'll be over the moon.

Idioms used in the story:

(as) happy as a clam

very happy I am happy as a clam living all by myself in this little house by the sea.

have a whale of a time
tv. to have an exciting time; to have a big time.

tickled pink
Fig. very much pleased or entertained.

in seventh heaven
Fig. in a very happy state.

over the moon
extremely pleased and happy

on cloud nine
Blissfully happy

QUIZ

1. I am tickled ____ you could come this evening.
2. Ann was really in ______ heaven when she got a car of her own.
3. I am happy as a _____ living all by myself in this little house by the sea.
4. We had a _____ of a time at your party.
5. When he sent me flowers and a note, I was over the _____.
She just bought her first new car and she's on cloud _____.

ANSWERS

1. pink
2. seventh
3. clam
4. whale
5. moon
6. nine

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário