Páginas

domingo, 12 de julho de 2015

simmer down/pucker up: o que essas expressões significam?


If you're a fan of Arctic Monkeys just like me, you've probably ended up here because of the song "Do I wanna Know?". If you don't know that band and are only here for the expressions, you can see why I mentioned the song by reading one of its parts where the expressions show up:

So have you got the guts?
Been wondering if your heart's still open
And if so I wanna know what time it shuts
Simmer down and pucker up
I'm sorry to interrupt
It's just I'm constantly on the cusp of trying
To kiss you
I don't know if you
Feel the same as I do
But we could be together

If you wanted to

Simmer down: when you ask someone to simmer down, it's the same thing as asking them to calm themselves down, especially if it's right after excitement or anger. So take a look at this example: We left him to simmer down after the argument. You can also use that expression referring to things, when you expect them to get quiet. For example: the hectic activity of the day finally simmered down.

Pucker up: When you ask someone to pucker up, you're asking them to tighten their lips together into a circle as if to kiss. For example: He puckered up and kissed her once, and then again. When things pucker up, they shrink up and get wrinkled. Example: The top edge of the drapes puckered up and I don't know how to straighten it out.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário