Páginas

segunda-feira, 13 de julho de 2015

expressions with the word DAWN

The period of the day we call dawn is when light from the sun begins to appear in the sky. Lately I've been waking up at dawn. I could also say I leave my bedroom as the dawn is still breaking. I'm trying to get up every day at the break of dawn because I feel more concentrated to write my monograph, and that's when I feel more productive.

Now that you've learnt a few ways of dealing with the word dawn and its collocations, let's learn a few expressions with it. At the crack of dawn is the first one. If you've ever had the chance to spend a few days living on the countryside or in a more rural area, you saw that people usually start their day at the crack of down, just when the birds are starting to sing their first melodies. As you can imagine, "at the crack of down" is a just a different way of referring to the earliest hours of the day, when the first sun rays are starting to strike through your room.

But now imagine a whole different situation. This time having nothing to do with any period of the day, literally speaking. You've hit the rock bottom and now you're complaining about it to one of your friends. Here's what you say: I feel like giving up. I don't have a job, my boyfriend left me, and they're raising the rent for my apartment. That's when your friend steps up and gives you this reply: It's always darkest just before the dawn. What would you understand by that expression if someone told you during your hardships?

"It's always darkest just before the dawn" is something you say to someone as a way to comfort them. It means that when things are extremely bad, it may signal that they're about to get much better. That's it for today guys. Talk to you next time!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário