Páginas

segunda-feira, 4 de março de 2013

Idioms com a palavra SWEET

Those who have followed my blog for a longer period of time must have realized how obsessed with idioms I am. I try to go with other topics sometimes, but I'm always pulled back to idioms by some force even I don't know. I think that happens because idioms are a great way to learn how to speak naturally and simply because they're fun to learn. Usually I try to arrange the idioms by a word in common. Today's idioms aren't going to be different. This time I'll bring you some of them with the word SWEET. Can you think of anyone already? Let's see!

If someone tried to sweet-talk to you, would you know why they'd do such thing? The idiom to sweet-talk must be deliberately deceiving because sweet generally is a word attached to a positive and nice meaning. In the idiom to sweet-talk, however, it actually means to use persuasion, charm or even sweetness to get what you want out of someone else. If your boy/girlfriend is sweet-talking to you, they're just using their charm to get what they want or talk you into something. Not a nice thing to do huh?

To have a sweet tooth is our second idiom. This one is very simple. It's generally used to describe children, but doesn't mean it can't be used with adults too. I am one of those who have a sweet tooth for example. That means I like eating food with lots of sugar in it. Do you have a sweet tooth too? I guess so. Who doesn't?

Suppose now you've been dating this girl for a while. Suddenly she tells you she's not loving you anymore and actually chooses to be with someone else. As soon as she leaves you and turns to this other guy, you discover that he didn't accept her as his girlfriend and tells her she was just fun. After being rejected, she tries to come back to you but of course you don't take her back. Talking to a friend of yours, you try to describe the sensation you felt when she came back: I was feeling very blue before I found out what had actually happened to her. Now all I can say is that revenge is sweet. This idiom is very self-explanatory because, as you might have noticed, what was actually said is that the feelling that comes after revenging yourself on someone gives you some pleasure.

That's it for today guys. Talk to you next time!

Um comentário:

  1. My brother had a sweet-talk to me yesterday because he meant use the computer.
    'Mattheus Negrão

    Obs: Man, I would like have written "..because he wanted to use..". But i thought using "mean" was going to be more naturally. What's more right ?

    ResponderExcluir