Páginas

segunda-feira, 11 de fevereiro de 2013

Expressões idiomáticas com a palava BIRD

Here we are again. This time with brand-new english idioms with the word bird. Yes, that little flying animal that has its body covered with feathers, it can also be a great source for idioms in English. So I'm going to touch on some of the most common ones since there is a plenty of them.

Everybody has their own interests that once brought into a conversation it can never end. It becomes easier to bond with like-minded people because it doesn't take much effort to find out what the common interests are. I would say that happens because "birds of a feather flock together", and according to that idiom, people with similar interests will stick together. When I was younger for example I would strike an endless conversation with someone that also liked Harry Potter series. I had memorized even all the characters' names, and knew every single part of the books in little details. So every time I would talk to a Harry Potter fan, it really felt like "birds of a feather flock together".

But there were some people that didn't understand I was going through a very natural phase of my life where the magical kind of literature I found in Harry Potter would surely blow my mind away. They thought I would be stuck in a surreal world without ever growing up. I would call people like that bird-brained, which means stupid. That's a very interesting way of using the overused word stupid less.

Our next idiom is maybe the very first idiom with the word bird that crosses our mind: "bird in the hand is worth two in the brush". It refers to those moments when it hits you that having something for certain is better than having the possibility of getting something better. It happens all the time when you're trying to sell something for example. You wanna sell a car for a certain price, but the only buyer that has shown up offered a lower one. You think it will take too much time to find a better offer, so you think that a "bird in the had is worth two in the brush" and you take it.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário