Páginas

sábado, 20 de julho de 2019

O que significa e como usar a palavra outing? Ela é uma palavra antiquada?


The title of an article on Twitter went like "Angelina Jolie enjoys going on regular outings with her children". I can't deny I was surprised to see the word outing (which seems to be so intuitive and familiar) being used for the first time. Yes, that was the first time I saw the word outing in context. Am I one of the only people?

I guess not. I immediately googled it and found native speakers discussing whether or not the word was dead or at least old-fashioned. What I noticed was that they couldn't find a compromise. Some claimed to both hear and use the word very often while others insisted on not hearing the word for a long time. What they seemed to have agreed on was that the word is more frequently written than spoken. Besides, an outing seems to be used more often as an organized event, such as church outing, school outing, group outing, etc.

I don't know if I'll incorporate the word in my active vocabulary, but I'll keep my ears open for the word (since I haven't heard people say it before other than this only time). That's it for now guys. Talk to you next time!!!!!!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário