Páginas

segunda-feira, 9 de maio de 2016

O que significa a expressão TO SHOT FROM THE HIP?


  • I don't want to be harsh but I can't bear one more second of Mary's sensitiveness anymore.
  • What happened? I thought you guys had hit it off pretty well.
  • Well, me too. But then I got to know her a little bit better and I realized how much of a flower she is. I need to be very careful with every word and reaction I have with her or else she will be extremely offended. I've had enough of this.
  • Well, maybe it's just your nature to shoot from the hip.
  • Definitely not. You know me better than that. Although I tend to be very frank to people, I've learned to be more careful with her, but she still manages to hang on every word I say. She must be mad at me about something I said. You can give me a million dollars to find out what it is and I'll have no clue.


shoot from the hip


1. Lit. to fire a gun that is held at one's side, beside one's hip. (This increases one's speed in firing a gun but is muchless accurate.) When I lived at home on the farm, my father taught me to shoot from the hip. I quickly shot the snakebefore it bit my horse. I'm glad I learned to shoot from the hip.
2. Fig. to speak directly and frankly. (Alluding to the rapidness of firing a gun from the hip.) John has a tendency toshoot from the hip, but he generally speaks the truth. Don't pay any attention to John. He means no harm. It's just hisnature to shoot from the hip.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário