Páginas

segunda-feira, 23 de novembro de 2015

Idioms with the word FRIEND

You are living the best time of your life. After working hard and finally getting a promotion and starting to be paid a whole lot better, you can say you finally have a comfortable life. But you come from a poor family. You weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth (meaning that you don't come from a rich family) and you know what it feels like to struggle a lot to get what you need to get by.

But the money part is just one of the many things that changed a lot from then on. Now that you're happy and successful, people seem to treat you better. And out of nowhere, it seems you don't get as much trouble to make friends as you used to. People just come to you. 'What makes people act differently around you then?', one old friend asks you. 'I don't know. I just think it's hard now to tell my true friends from the fair-weather friends. I have to be a lot more careful now.

a fair-weather friend

someone who is only your friend when you are happy and successful I had a lot of money and I knew a lot of people, but most of them turned out to be fair-weather friends.

But you look at that friend who's talking to you, a very old friend by the way who's been there for you since the struggling times when you had absolutely no money, and you say to him: But I never have to worry about you. You knew me when I hit the rock bottom (the lowest possible level of life) and helped me out of it. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

friend in need is a friend indeed
A true friend is a person who will help you when you really need help. When Bill helped me with geometry, I really learned the meaning of "A friend in need is a friend indeed."

'Do you remember when we had that project from college and imagined how easier it would be if we had friends in high places to sponsor us?', says your friend. 'Now you're one of those friends in high places.'

have friends in high places
to know important people who can help you get what you want He has plenty of friends in high places willing to support his political career.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário