Páginas

domingo, 27 de setembro de 2015

short notice/advance notice

I covered an expression with the word notice on the previous post and what happened was that I've come across two other expressions with the same word that are very important to learn. So I thought I'd write a second post covering them too.

I used to have a private teacher who wasn't very good at making appointments. He was very busy and every time he would have sort of a gap between his other duties, he would fit me into it and call me at a moment's notice. When you do anything with very little advance notice, with just a little bit of warning, you're doing it at a moment's notice. You can also use the expression "on short notice", as in "she called the meeting on such short notice that we had no time to prepare". I would always ask my teacher not to do such an inconvenient thing and instead call me with advance notice. As you can imagine, when you do something with or on advance notice, you do it with some kind of notification that something is going to happen or is expected before it actually happens.

That's all for today. Talk to you next time!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário