Páginas

domingo, 19 de julho de 2015

What do you do when you can't remember a word in English?

Today I'm here to talk about different behaviors ESL students have when their minds simply go blank. One of these days I was eating grapes and then I stared at the grapes trying to remember the name "grape" and it didn't come at all. How come I can't remember such a basic word you learn during your first stage at an English school? Well, I'm not saying I let it get to me every time something like that happens. It keeps happening whether I want it or not. What I want to focus here is not on the desperate feeling that strikes you every time you remember you can't remember a word, but what you do with that.

I'd say there are many ways to deal with that. Many people just let it go and wait till the next moment they'll have the chance to read or hear that sentence or word somewhere. But many other people, me included here, sometimes keep stuck with that frustration until they finally do something to fix it. When I don't have much patience or time to waste, I just look up the word on a dictionary (usually an online dictionary) and try to let it kick in. But when I'm really willing to take the effort and brush up on my vocabulary, not only do I look up the word I forgot but also the words that combine with it. So let's take the word grape as an example to try to understand what I really do to get the most out of it.

ADJ.
juicy, sweet
lovely sweet grapes
| black, green, purple, white | seedless
QUANT.
bunch
VERB + GRAPE
eat, have | harvest, pick
The first grapes are harvested in mid-August.
| crush, tread
The peasants were treading the grapes in huge vats.
GRAPE + NOUN
harvest


So there we have it. The whole list of collocations that are used with the word grape. Now, instead of having the word grape as part of my active vocabulary in English, I included about 10 other words that combine with it. Adjectives, verbs, nouns, etc. The website I usually get those collocations from is "http://www.ozdic.com". I highly encourage you to bookmark it. It'll come always in handy. Take care!

2 comentários:

  1. Great article, as for me, usually I am used to create anki flashcards (with audio in a phrase) in order to put that word in my long term memory.

    My method os study consists on listening podcasts and watching tv series and them picking up pieces of them to create realistic flash cards. Some of them are published on soundcloud here:
    https://soundcloud.com/voyag3r-1

    ResponderExcluir
  2. i used to count on flash cards for trainin my vocabulary... but i never studied isolated words... i would always put them together with collocations or study whole sentences... i guess it helps a whole lot more than memorizing a list or something like that. as for the listening part, i do what u do... theres not a pattern here. i go about my mood. sometimes i watch a tv series, sometimes i download a whole bunch of podcasts and listen to them in a row, sometimes i just turn on the radio...
    thanks for your comment, sérgio. always nice to have your feedback

    ResponderExcluir