Páginas

domingo, 12 de julho de 2015

O que significa a expressão "I'll be damned"?

"I'll be damned if I know how I'm going to tell Ellie about it" - Pet Sematary, by Stephen King.

I decided to start today's article by quoting Stephen King because, one, I just got finished reading Pet Sematary, a book I'd encourage anyone in the world to read, and second, because it kept on reminding me of an expression I've been willing to talk about here on the blog in a while: "I'll be damned". Do you have an idea of what that means by just looking at it?

The first thing you have to learn about that expression is that it can be used in more than one way. In the quote you see right above, "I'll be damned" means that you have a hard time believing something's going to happen. Suppose you forgot to study for a test you're doing today in school and now you really don't believe you're going to get a good grade. So you say: I'll be damned if I know how to tell my parents about my grades later.

The second way to use that expression is way easier. That's because you just need a reason to be surprised or shocked. For example, you find out your best friend is in love with you. You never thought that could happen. It caught you off guard. So you say: I'll be damned. My best friend's in love with me!

And finally, the third way of using the expression. I chose to leave this one for the end because I could say - after reading the book I mentioned before - it's the most common meaning to the expression. So imagine this situation: You're part of a group in class for a project. When you and your classmates get together for the first time to discuss the project and come up with ideas, you see that there's one specific person that's trying to boss everyone around. He wants everything his way and doesn't take any suggestion as if it was an individual assignment. So here's what you say to one of your classmates: I'll be damned If I let him boss me around like that. Who does he think he is?

That's it guys. I hope you like it. Take care!

Um comentário: