Páginas

quarta-feira, 1 de julho de 2015

Expressions with the word JACK

I was reading Pet Sematary, by Stephen King, when I stumbled upon an expression that I had heard before but never gave too much importance. The expression is a little too long but easy to understand: all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. If you don't understand the expression by looking at it, you probably have never heard of the word dull. It's the same thing as monotonous, boring, tedious, etc. So when you say that expression to someone, you're telling them that people who work all the time and don't save a time to have fun eventually become boring. I thought that expression was old-fashioned, but I've seen many young people using it and it won't sound weird at all.

The second expression with the word jack is "jack of all trades". Once again, if you can't guess the meaning of that expression, you may not understand one of the words being part of it. Trade is a word that you may have never heard. Some of the synonymous for that word are business, commerce, deal, etc. But I'm afraid those words are not intuitive enough to make you understand the expression. When you call someone a Jack of all trades, it means they are versatile, that is to say, someone who has many skills or who does many different jobs. I could say my father is a jack of all trades. We hardly ever have to pay for someone else to fix something at home. He can handle almost it all.

2 comentários:

  1. Nice text! It is my first time here, and I liked right away. Congrats. :D

    ResponderExcluir
  2. thanks victor! that means a lot to me... stick around for more articles and don't hesitate to give me your feedback, even if it's not a compliment. take care!

    ResponderExcluir