Páginas

domingo, 24 de novembro de 2013

What to say when you're overcome by emotion and can hardly speak

On sunday afternoons, all you can find on brazilian TV is a bunch of celebrities being honored by their relatives, friends and co-workers. And during one of those TV shows, after being paid such a remarkable tribute, a celebrity found himself completely lost for words. But wait, lost for words? What does that mean? Well it means he was unable to speak because he was very surprised and moved. It's like he lost the words he'd need to show how thankful he was to everybody. He was lost for words.

When he finally tried to pull himself together and speak, he said something like: I'm sorry but words fails me at this moment. That's another great expression to show unability to speak after being surprised or shocked: words fail me. Sometimes it's just that they can't think of proper words that could possibly express all the gratitude they're feeling. So they just say: Words fail me.

He could also have said 'I have my words stick in my throat'. You know that when you're overcome by emotion, you feel like your throat gets dry and it won't let the words come out properly. That's the right moment to say the expression "I have my words stick in my throat'. I hope you liked it. Take care!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário