Páginas

segunda-feira, 30 de setembro de 2013

Como dizer "não quero me gabar" em Inglês?

Sometimes we find ourselves in a situation where we don't wanna sound like a jerk. What does that mean? It means that at the same time we want to show people we're right or capable, we don't wanna come off as this arrogant bastard. For example, you and your classmates are given a math exercise to do in group. After realizing you're the only one who's solved most of the math problems, you decide to say something before proceeding: I don't want to toot my own horn, but I think I know the answer for that one too.

I don't know if you've heard of the word horn before. According to Dictionary.com, horn is "one of the bony, permanent, hollow paired growths, often curved and pointed, that project from the upper part of the head of certain ungulate mammals, as cattle, sheep, goats or antelopes." I know that's a long description, but it's pretty simple if you simply know horn is what a sheep has in its head. When you say you don't want to toot your own horn, you're figuratively saying you don't want to blow your own horn. I don't know about the origin of that expression, but imagining yourself blowing a horn makes it easier to remember of the expression at least.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário